Melbourne at night

From 1 September 2015 holders of an overseas driver licence who fail the VicRoads practical drive test will no longer be permitted to drive using their overseas driver licence in Victoria. If they wish to continue to drive, they will be required to obtain a Victorian learner permit. All restrictions applicable to a Victorian learner permit holder will apply to them. Alternatively, the overseas driver must successfully complete the practical drive test and obtain a Victorian driver licence.

This applies to all practical drive tests (e.g. car, motorcycle, heavy vehicle) the driver may be required to complete when applying for a Victorian driver licence or learner permit.